Ramsey Memorial encourages the spiritual growth of its members, empowering them to spread the Gospel through the example of their lives.
We seek to serve the Lord through dynamic ministries in the areas of worship, Christian education, fellowship & outreach.
We are a family of Christians that nurtures, loves & supports one another, welcoming all who seek a church home.
Ramsey Memorial serves as a beacon of hope, stability & service for the surrounding community.
Ramsey Memorial UMC strives to make a positive difference in our community by actively supporting a number of vital outreach ministries & focuses on showing the love of Jesus.
- Tutoring: 1 on 1 tutoring for area elementary school children & use of computer lab (October – April).
- ESL Classes: A community wide program available to all interested in learning English. Formal classroom instruction combined with computer learning.
- Conversation Café: Practice Spanish and English conversation skills in a relaxed atmosphere for the upper level ESL students every other week
- Blood Drive: Holding 2 blood drives this year.
- CARITAS: Twice a year we house & feed the homeless for a week. October 2011 and May 2012.
- White Christmas: Sponsor families & individuals in need. Food baskets, clothing & toys are provided. Applications are taken in October and distribution is before Christmas.
- Food Pantry: Providing groceries on the 4th Wednesday of each month to those in need
- Girl Scouts: Sponsorship of troops serving of all ages
- Upward Basketball/Cheerleading: Boys & Girls. Kindergarten – 7th Graders (Registration begins in October)
- Living Nativity: Since 1957 this is held the week before & on Christmas Eve. Members stand with living animals promoting the night of the Lord’s birth.
- Red Cross Emergency Shelter Team: Volunteers set up Red Cross Shelter in case of a local disaster. Shelter will include food, a place to rest & resources from Red Cross.
- TOPS: Taking Off Pounds Sensibly – Thursdays
- Care-A-Van/Dental Van: Host facility for those in need of medical/dental assistance in the community.
- Tax Preparation: Host facility for those in need of tax assistance (certain salary limitations may apply)
Ramsey Memorial UMC supports many causes by maintaining a program of mission education, identify worldwide mission opportunities of service projects and encourage participation and support.
- Outreach to Missions
- Missionaries: Sponsor two missionaries
- Mission Trips: Project Crossroads, Marion VA
- Also support missions through UMW and previous mission trips have included hurricane relief in Florida and Mississippi
Ramsey Memorial UMC choirs share their faith through their beautiful music
- Chancel Choir: Traditional Style – Thursdays at 7:00pm
- Praise Choir: Contemporary Style – Sundays at 3:30pm
- Goodman Handbell Choir: Sundays at 4:45pm
Los miembros de habla Hispana de nuestra congregación en Ramsey Memorial Iglesia Metodista Unida, nos reunimos cada domingo a las 12:30 pm para adorar y servir a Jesucristo, nuestro Señor, a través de nuestra adoración publica y servicio a la comunidad.
- La pastora junto con el pueblo: planean las diferentes actividades y eventos a celebrarse a lo largo del año.
- Oración y Estudio Bíblico:
- todos los Jueves de 7:00 pm a 8:15 pm.
- Diciembre estudio de adviento
- Otros Eventos y Actividades:
- Celebrando nuestra herencia hispana en el mes de septiembre.
- Servicio de noche Buena 7:00pm a 8:30 en el Centro de Vida Cristiano (CLC)
- Escuela Dominical para adultos: Lecciones Cristianas
- Escuela Dominical para Jóvenes: Panorama del Antiguo y Nuevo Testamento.
- Celebración de nuestro aniversario durante el mes de abril.
- Somos una iglesia con corazones abiertos, mentes abiertas y puertas abiertas con el fin de servir al Espíritu, la familia y la comunidad.
Stewardship is not about putting money in the collection plate, but about fully using our God-given talents, gifts, & resources.
- Commitment Sunday: Guest speaker & time to make your pledge for the coming year.
- Victory Sunday: Announcing results of Commitment Sunday
- Designated Giving: A special offering that members can give in honor/memory of someone to support a specific church ministry or program at anytime during the year.
Welcoming & Hospitality
Ramsey Memorial UMC has a variety of ways to support its members
- Shepherding Program: Members call & check on other members
- Hospitality: A ministry to welcome others & develops a mindset within the congregation to treat all persons coming onto church property as though they were Christ
- Pastoral Care: Focuses on providing comfort, counsel and nurture to all members
- Prayer Chain: Supported by our members to remember those in need of prayer
- Greeters: Members who welcome members and visitors at the doors of the sanctuary for each Sunday worship service
- Card Ministry: Send cards to members who are shut-in, sick, new, in-active, visitors, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
- Provide coffee for socialization, fellowship and welcoming of visitors before/after worship services
- Identify transportation needs of membership and drivers to meet those needs
Ramsey Memorial UMC shows its faith in a number of worship opportunities
- Four worship services each Sunday:
- Traditional: 8:30am and 11:00am
- Hispanic: 12:30pm
- Contemporary: 5:30pm
- Wednesday Lent Services: Church groups provide dinner followed by worship services
- Easter Services: 6:30am sunrise service in parking lot followed by the regularly scheduled worship services
- Christmas Eve Services: 6:00pm, 7:30pm & 11:00pm
- Hispanic Christmas Eve Service
- Additional Services: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, World Communion Day, Thanksgiving, etc.
- Communion: Available the first Sunday of each month as well as during many special services
- Lay Readers: Members who assist in the Sunday worship service by reading scriptures, etc.
- Nursery: Members who watch babies and children during the Sunday worship services
- Recordings: 11:00 service is available by cassette tape & some may also be found on the church’s website
- Altar Flowers: Placed on the altar in memory or honor of a loved one or event
- Shut-ins: Receive tape of worship service, bulletins, & sanctuary flowers taken by our church visitors
Ramsey Memorial UMC has a variety of fun and fellowship opportunities in a Christian environment
- Easter Sunday Breakfast
- Periodic covered-dish dinners
- Teams: Bowling and Whiffle Ball
- 55+ Luncheons: Monthly luncheons & time for fellowship
- Other activities: dinner dances, sock hops, fall festival, variety show, karaoke, plays, etc.
- Secret Sisters: women of the church who share a small gift with each other anonymously throughout the year with a reveal at the end of the year
- Assist other committees to provide food to service their programs
Men’s Ministry Group
Ramsey Memorial UMC’s men gather for fellowship, devotion & serve church’s needs
- Brothers United in Christian Service (BUCS) – All men are invited to join! BUCS is intended to connect and unite all our church’s men across all worship services and classes and will be dedicated to “Discipleship, Fellowship and Service”. Ramsey needs the spiritual leadership and service of its male members. Meetings will be on the first Saturday of each month, starting at 8:30am with a breakfast. Afterwards those who are able stay to assist with the maintenance needs of our church.
United Methodist Women
A community of women whose purpose is to know God & to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship & to expand concepts of missions through participation in the global ministries of the church.
- All women are invited to join!
- UMW Circles: Ada Mae Bookman, Hazel Gibbs, McGuire Park, Nina Woodfin
- Prayer Shawl Ministry: Knitting shawls for those in the hospital, shut-ins, etc. If you do not know how to knit, someone will be more than happy to teach.
- Supporting: Church Women United, U.M. Family Services, Love Baskets at Christmas for Shut-ins, Food Pantry, Donations to Missions, Sock & Mitten Tree at Christmas for those in need
- Hermitage Volunteers: Volunteers assist in a variety of activities & with resident needs at the retirement home. Assistance ranges from working in the thrift shop to mend clothing, weekly fingernail ministry, baked goods and jams/jellies for the bazaar, prepare monthly meals for residents and take residents shopping.
Ramsey Memorial UMC’s youth are an energetic group ready & willing to help with whatever comes their way
- Dinner & Meeting: Meets every Sunday from 5:30 – 7:30pm. Junior High (6th – 8th Graders) and Senior High (9th – 12th Graders)
- Retreats: Lake Junaluska and Eagle Eyrie
- Involved in mission work, White Christmas, CARITAS, Upward Basketball, sponsor a young child in Ghana,
- sing Christmas carols for shut-ins, worship services & fundraisers